Somerset volunteers, volunteer organisations, groups and charities are coming together to celebrate this year’s National Volunteers’ Week (1-7 June).
Somerset County Council has once again thrown its support behind the campaign to provide thanks for the vitally important work that volunteers undertake across the county and the nation.
As part of this year’s celebrations, voluntary organisations and members of the public were asked to nominate ‘Somerset Star’ volunteers who deserve special recognition for the voluntary work they do. Over 100 nominations were received from across Somerset with winners for each district to be announced as part of the Volunteers’ Week celebrations.
Councillor John Osman, Leader of Somerset County Council, said: “Volunteers do so much to help others and this is a chance to recognise the fantastic work they do. National Volunteers’ Week is a time to celebrate volunteering and say thank you to the people who give up their time, energy and skills to help others. It’s also a perfect opportunity to promote and encourage more people to get involved – and it can also be a great way to enhance your CV and career prospects.”
To find out more about what’s going on in your local area during National Volunteers Week or who to contact for support, including voluntary organisations, visit www.scvolunteering.com/.
To find out more about volunteering opportunities in your community, why not visit https://do-it.org/ or contact your local volunteering centre.
You can find more information about Somerset County Council volunteering opportunities via www.somerset.gov.uk/volunteering.
Local events taking place during National Volunteers’ Week:
- Monday 1 June – A workshop on volunteer recruitment and retention at the Cheese and Grain in Frome at (Places to be reserved in advance.)
- Wednesday 3 June – Stalls and workshops at the Red Brick Building in Glastonbury, from 10.30am until 2.30pm.
- Wednesday 3 June – Volunteer organisations exhibitions stands and the Star Awards at North Street Congregational Church in Taunton, between 10am and 2pm. The awards ceremony starts at 11.30am.
- Thursday 4 June – South Somerset Star Award winner to be announced.
- Friday 5 June – Volunteer organisations exhibitions stands and the Star Awards at The Beach Hotel in Minehead, between 10.30am and 1.30pm. The awards ceremony starts at 11.30am.
- ‘Somerset You can Do’ is Somerset County Council’s Social Care Services’ volunteer recruitment organisation. For more information, phone (01278) 664180 or visit scvolunteering.com.
- Somerset has four district volunteer centres:
- National Volunteers Week will be taking place 1 to 7 June 2015 when organisations are encouraged to thank, celebrate and promote volunteering in Somerset. For more information about events taking place during the week, visit scvolunteering.com.