Somerset Libraries are once again taking part in ‘Get Online Week’, the nationwide campaign to help people get online for the first time.
Taking place from 12 to 18 October 2015, there are over 90 free places available on 20 courses running in 18 libraries across Somerset.
Eight libraries are running traditional courses for complete beginners, teaching mouse and keyboard skills, and helping learners to find and navigate a website. These include Burnham, Glastonbury, Martock, Priorswood, Shepton Mallet, Street, Wells and Wincanton.
Sessions available at other Somerset libraries include:
- Get started with your tablet / iPad
- Use your iPad to connect with friends and family
- How to download films onto your ipad / mobile phone etc
- Using Social Media
Full details of Get Online Week courses and where they are taking place can be found in any library or online at www.librarieswest.org.uk/GOW_2015.pdf. If you would like to attend a course, please register directly with the relevant library.
Cllr David Hall, Somerset County Council’s Cabinet Member with responsibility for libraries said: “Somerset Library staff and volunteers have helped over 600 learners get online or improve their skills during the last year, which is an amazing achievement.
“23 Somerset libraries are now UK Online Centres, and offer a wide range of courses from learning how to use email and search for information to online shopping, banking, and health management. Get in touch with your local library or check online to see which free courses are available within your local area.”
As well as using library PCs, eight libraries (Bridgwater, Langport, Minehead, Taunton, Wells, Williton, Wincanton and Yeovil) now offer learners the option of learning on a tablet or iPad – and more will soon follow.
For more information about UK Online sessions, ask at your local library, or visit www.somerset.gov.uk/libraries-and-heritage/libraries-facilities/computer-courses-in-somerset-libraries/
For more information, please contact the Press Office on 01823 355020 or email email@example.com.
Notes to editors
- The 18 Libraries running courses during ‘Get Online Week 2015’ are: : Bridgwater, Burnham, Chard, Frome, Glastonbury, Langport, Martock, Milborne Port, Minehead, Priorswood, Shepton Mallet, Street, Taunton, Wellington, Wells, Williton, Wincanton, & Yeovil.
- This year, one of the websites used during training sessions will be Visit Somerset, giving learners the opportunity to find out more about the beautiful county in which we live.
To view all of our news releases, please visit: http://www.somersetnewsroom.com