Somerset County Council has received an overwhelming response from children and young people keen to shout from the rooftops about how much their Social Worker has helped them.
There have been over 60 nominations for the new Children and Young People’s Social Worker of the Year Award. All of the nominations come from children and young people or their families who have experienced first-hand the support given by Children’s Social Care in Somerset.
Children and young people were asked why they thought their Social Worker, Independent Reviewing Officer or Leaving Care Worker deserved an award and what they liked about them. Below are just a few of the heartening responses:
• “He always visits me and listens to everything that I say. He gives me lots of time and support. He is funny and makes me laugh”
• “She has helped me through bad times…and helped me make good decisions”
• “She is funny and always happy and always does what she says she will do”
• “He talks to me when I get upset…and feel scared. He is always there to listen”
• “He always listens and I don’t feel alone”
• “I’ve been working with this incredible woman for 3 and a half years. She makes you feel a lot more than a young person on her caseload”
• “We play snooker together and we talk about my stuff and she is really sweet and confident in me.”
• “She’s really funny, very supportive and can always cheer me up.”
Cllr Frances Nicholson, Cabinet Member for Children and Families for Somerset County Council, said: “To receive 65 nominations for any award is quite an achievement. For those nominations to come from some of our most vulnerable children and young people truly highlights just how amazing some of our staff really are.
“The comments that came in with the nominations are a testament to the wonderful work Children’s Social Care staff do every day. I would like to congratulate every member of staff who received a nomination and thank them for their continued dedication.”
The nominations will now be shortlisted and the winner will be announced at the third annual Somerset County Council Staff Awards ceremony in January 2016.
Somerset County Council is currently recruiting Children’s Social Workers. Visitwww.socialcareandmore.co.uk to find out more.