More than 40 schemes designed to improve highways and road safety across the county have been approved for further development by Somerset County Council.
The list of schemes (below) includes possible speed reviews, traffic calming, pedestrian crossings, cycle paths and other minor enhancements and have all been put forward as part of the Small Improvement Schemes (SiS) programme.
Cllr David Fothergill, Somerset County Council’s Cabinet member for Highways, said: “The SiS programme is all about listening to our local communities and then trying to tackle the issues which they have identified.
“I’m pleased we’ve been able to agree in principle to more than 40 small schemes which should make a real difference locally.
“The next step is for our engineers to look closely at the list of submissions to assess them as feasible, then we’ll be looking to approve funding, before working closely with local communities to develop detailed individual plans for delivery over the coming years.”
Many of the projects have been put forward by County Councillors who have been made aware of a need for road improvements in their local area by their constituents and community representatives.
All schemes are subject to design, scheduling, consultation and budget availability and may not be progressed if they do not meet these conditions.
You can find out more about how to tackle traffic issues in your community at www.trafficchoices.co.uk/somerset.
List of schemes
Below is a list of schemes which county councillors and officers have put forward for consideration to receive funding. These will now move into the detailed feasibility and design stage:
- B3139/B3135: Burnt Wood Crossroads (Whitnell Corner) to A37 Old Down Crossroads: road safety improvements
- Chilcompton: pedestrian crossing improvements
- Waterloo Street, Shepton Mallet: pedestrian crossing improvements
- Bradford Road junctions with A361 and Rode Hill: road safety improvements
- Norton St Philip: traffic management
- A361/B3136 Commercial Road, Shepton Mallet: road safety improvements
- A362/A366/B3139 Terry Hill Crossroads: road safety improvements
- Butchers Bend, East Brent: traffic management
- A38 Cross: pedestrian crossing improvements
- Bristol Road, A38, Rooksbridge: pedestrian crossing improvements
- Clarks Road, Bridgwater: traffic management
- Wincanton Town Centre: 20mph zone
- Snap Ant junction, Lopen: road safety improvements
- Hambridge Primary School: pedestrian improvements
- Stock Elms Cottages, Street Road B3151 from Marshall Elm: road safety improvements
- West Street, Somerton: pedestrian improvements (one way)
- Thorney Road, Kingsbury Episcopi: pedestrian improvements and speed reduction
- Westfield Academy, Stiby Road, Yeovil: bus stop improvements
- Bower Hinton to Martock: footway/ cycleway
- Yeovil to Yeovilton: footway/cycleway
- A30 Roundham near Crewkerne: pedestrian safety improvements
- Cropmead / Thomson Drive Junction with South Street, Crewkerne: traffic management
- Donyatt: traffic calming
- Montacute: 20mph limit
- West Camel: traffic calming
- Lower Woolston, North Cadbury: HGV traffic management
- Stourton Way and The Toose, Brympton: pedestrian crossing
- Tintinhull Road, Chilthorne Domer: safety improvements
- Middleway, Taunton: bus stop improvements
- Honiton Road, Trull: traffic calming
- Greenway/Windmill Hill, North Curry: pedestrian improvements and speed reduction
- Hyde Lane, Creech St Michael: pedestrian crossing improvements
- South Road, Taunton: pedestrian crossing improvements
- Hartley Way, Taunton: dropped crossings
- Holywell Lake Road, no through road Sampford Arundell
- West Somerset Community College, Minehead: pedestrian crossing improvements
- Dulverton: 20mph limit
- Simonsbath: traffic management
- Doniford Road, Williton: pedestrian crossing improvements
- Tower Hill, Stogursey: improved school safety