Somerset County Council’s Taunton Library is inviting schools, businesses and members of the public to the launch of their highly anticipated ‘Glass Box’.
The Glass Box, so-called because it will be making its home in the window-walled former Tourist Information Centre in Paul Street, will be unveiled to the public on 22 June during with an exciting digital launch day. It will be a free, community space designed to help business start-ups, innovators and digital makers come together.
The unique facility will offer:
- Digital skills training for business start-ups and small businesses
- Digital making activities such as Code Club, robotics and 3D printing
- Free Wi-Fi and a space to meet
- Business information, signposting and support drop-ins
You can drop in at any time throughout the launch day to explore some of the exciting things the Glass Box will offer. These include:
- An introduction to coding using a Raspberry Pi
- See 3D printing in action
- Build a microcomputer
- Learn to code using Minecraft
- Meet and programme our Lego robot and programme a BB8 Droid
- Try out a range of gadgets with Get Up to Speed
- Try out Google Digital Garage – digital skills training for business
- Meet Heart of the South West Growth Hub
- Explore free Webinars by the British Library
- Register for free online courses from FutureLearn
- Download factsheets to support your business start up
The Glass Box Project aims to create a town centre focal point and unique space for knowledge sharing and digital skills development for business start-ups and SMEs. It will also up skill future entrepreneurs by inspiring young people and the public to build their digital skills through coding, robotics and digital making.
Cllr David Hall, Cabinet Member with a responsibility for libraries, said: “The Glass Box is a very exciting project for Taunton and shows how innovative your local library can be. I know a lot of hard work has gone in to creating this new digital space for the people of Taunton and our wider community, and I look forward to welcoming you during the launch day.”