Somerset County Council’s Performing Arts library at Yeovil have a host of events planned this August to keep children and young people busy during the summer holidays.
Working in co-ordination with the Summer Reading Challenge, the Performing Arts Library (on the second floor of Yeovil library in King George St) will be hosting a series of events which families are welcome to attend.
Activities on offer include a writing workshop, singing and imaginary play, plus the opportunity to try out a musical instrument – all completely free.
The Summer Reading Challenge will also be happening at Yeovil library throughout the holidays, along with all other libraries in Somerset.
This is a nationwide initiative taking place in library services up and down the country during the summer holidays. Children and young people can sign up at their local Somerset library and then read six books of their choice while collecting exclusive rewards and prizes to complete the challenge. To find out more about the Summer Reading challenge please visit http://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/ or pop into your local library and speak to a member of staff or one of the libraries’ young volunteers.
All the events taking place at Yeovil Performing Arts library throughout August are listed below:
- Tuesday 2, 9, 16, 23 August 9.30am -12.30pm Young Writers Workshop
(with Yeovil Community Arts Association) No age limit.
- Friday 5 August ‘Instruments from Scrap’ children aged up to 8.
30pm – 3.30pm, craft event £1.00 per child to cover cost of materials.
- Wednesday 10 August, ‘Little Story Catchers’ 10.30am – 12pm ages 3, 4 and 5 stories, music and imaginary play on a theme of Roald Dahls book ‘George’s Marvellous Medicine’.
- Wednesday 10 August, ‘Little Story Catchers’ 1.30pm – 3pm ages 6, 7 and 8 stories, music and imaginary play on a theme of Big Friendly Giants.
- Friday 19 August, 10am – 12pm, a chance to try out a musical instrument. Representatives from the Yeovil Rock School will be encouraging children to learn to play an instrument and make some noise!
All events are free unless otherwise indicated, but booking via email is advisable to avoid disappointment. Please use the email address Yeolib@somerset.gov.uk to book your child’s place.
Cllr David Hall, Cabinet Member with a responsibility for libraries said; “Your local library should be top of your list as a fun place to take the children this summer holiday. Nearly every event that our Somerset libraries put on is free, while being entertaining and engaging with a real mix of activities on offer.”
“Libraries are an integral part of community life and can provide a great place for children and their parents to meet new people and form friendship groups. Events like these rely on support from the community so by going along with your children you will help to ensure they can continue to run for more families in the future.”