The Chairman of Somerset County Council has recognised the work of dozens of Somerset stalwarts at an annual award ceremony.
Councillor Christine Lawrence presented over 60 Chairman’s Awards for services to community, to people who have dedicated their time and energy to others.
From fiercely dedicated fundraisers to friendly volunteer drivers, bell ringers to bakers, church wardens to school governors, there are unlimited reasons to thank the people who give so much to their community.
The awards evening recognised people who go the extra mile to help their neighbours, villages, towns, events and charities individually or as part of voluntary organisations.
- Penny Kimber for the kindness and care she shows to the elderly and ill in her community of Wayford
- 92 year old Barbara Nichols for her long standing commitment to the Durston Village Hall and Church
- Amanda Triggol for transforming her local Village Hall into a popular function venue
- Sandra Booth for working all year around to provide free Friday soup lunches for the lonely and needy in Glastonbury
- Steve Walker for over 20 years as Trull Scout Leader and 10 years as the leader for Taunton Explorers
- Somerset in Care and Leaving Care Council for organising a very successful Annual Achievement Awards for carers and children in care
Somerset County Council’s Chairman, Christine Lawrence said: “The dedication of everyone who has been recognised this year really goes to show that community spirit is alive and well in Somerset.
“Hearing the stories of people from all walks of life, and the goodwill they show to their neighbours and communities is so very heart-warming and a lesson to us all.”
A document detailing all of the award winners can be downloaded here: https://somersetnewsroom.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/chairmans-award-winners.pdf
A gallery of photographs from the evening can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/somersetcountycouncil/albums/72157675400860776