Somerset’s GPs remind public to celebrate safely this New Year

Self-care, a local pharmacist or NHS 111 is best for minor illness or ailments and don’t drink and drive.

GPs, nurses and paramedics with Somerset’s urgent and emergency health services are appealing to members of the public to enjoy the New Year celebrations but stay safe and have a few simple remedies to hand for that headache, stomach upset or minor cut or bruise.

Dr Ed Ford, a Minehead GP and Chairman of Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “Many people will be welcoming in the New Year with a party, but we would advise friends, relatives and neighbours look out for each other and take a few simple measures to stay well and safe.

“Avoid drinking to excess. If you are going to drink, don’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach; drink water and eat some food before or whilst you are out celebrating and if you find yourself with a hangover the following day, make sure you have some over-the-counter remedies for headache, like Paracetamol, and something for an upset stomach from your local pharmacist.

“Please don’t drink and drive. If you’re planning to drink alcohol, plan how to get home without driving. Agree to have designated driver or save a taxi number to your phone.”

Here are some treatment options if you or a family member becomes ill over the New Year holiday:

SELF CARE: Having a few basic items in your bathroom medicine cabinet can save you time and effort should you become ill. Items like paracetamol, a bandage, sticking plasters, and antiseptic cream or indigestion tablets. If troublesome symptoms persist or worsen see your GP. There is more advice online at:

If you feeling unwell and need advice visit your pharmacy. You don’t need an appointment and they can advise on the best medicines for many common illnesses. You can find your nearest pharmacist by searching online at: or by telephoning 111.

Telephone 111 when you need medical advice or information quickly, but it’s not a 999 life threatening emergency. Calls are free from mobiles and landlines to this 24/7 service.

There are Minor Injury Units at community hospitals in Bridgwater, Burnham-on-Sea, Chard, Frome, Glastonbury, Minehead and Shepton Mallet.

If your injury is not serious you can get help from a minor injuries unit (MIU).

To check your local MIU’s location and opening hours telephone 111 or go to:

HOSPITAL ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY: Hospital A&E or the 999 ambulance service will be treating patients with life threatening and emergency conditions. If you believe you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency then telephone 999 for an ambulance immediately.

For advice about what to do if you have a hangover on New Year’s Day visit the NHS Choices web site:


For more information, please contact:

Paul Courtney – Communications Manager
Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group
Tel: 01935 385241 / Mob: 0794 118 2175