Several new appointments to key roles within Somerset County Council were approved this morning (16 May).
At its Annual General Meeting, the County Council voted to appoint a new Chair of the Council, Councillor Nigel Taylor. Cllr Taylor was elected to the Council in 2017 and represents the Cheddar division.
The Council also approved appointments to Chair and Vice-Chair positions of the 13 different decision-making and scrutiny committees within the authority.
This included the following:
- Scrutiny for Policies and Place: Chair – Cllr Anna Groskop, Vice-Chair – Cllr Mike Lewis
- Scrutiny for Policies, Adults and Health: Chair – Cllr Hazel Prior-Sankey, Vice-Chair – Cllr Claire Aparicio-Paul
- Scrutiny for Policies, Children and Families: Chair – Cllr Leigh Redman, Vice-Chair – Cllr Rod Williams.
Full details of the appointments to all the committees can be found on the Council’s website
Earlier in the week, the Leader of the Council, Cllr David Fothergill, announced changes to the Cabinet membership, creating two new Cabinet Member roles – Resources, and Education & Council Transformation. The Council’s Cabinet now comprises:
- Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Strategy and Customers & Communities: Cllr David Fothergill
- Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Resources: Cllr Mandy Chilcott
- Cabinet Member for Economic Development, Planning and Community Infrastructure: Cllr David Hall. Junior Cabinet Member: Cllr Mike Pullin.
- Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care: Cllr David Huxtable. Junior Cabinet Member: Josh Williams.
- Cabinet Member for Children and Families: Cllr Frances Nicholson
- Cabinet Member for Education and Council Transformation: Cllr Faye Purbrick
- Highways and Transport: Cllr John Woodman
- Public Health and Wellbeing: Cllr Christine Lawrence
For more detail about the Cabinet positions and responsibilities visit here (note – there is no longer a Cabinet responsibility for Corporate and Community Services).