Millions of pounds will be invested to repair and improve roads across Somerset during the first part of 2019.
Somerset County Council is planning a number of major and minor maintenance schemes this quarter, thanks in part to the £9.98m one-off pot of money for road repairs announced by the Department for Transport late last year.
Some of the major schemes confirmed include (see below for further details including associated road closures):
- A38 Huntworth Roundabout (Junction 24)
- A358 between Thornfalcon and Southfields Roundabout, Ilminster
- A367 Bath Road, Ashwick
- Chilkwell Street, Glastonbury
- A361 Frome Bypass Berkley Roundabout
- A361 Frome Cemetery Roundabout
- A39 East Quantoxhead
- Admiralty Way and Creechbarrow Way, Taunton
- A358 Hankridge Roundabout, Taunton
- A358 Sampford Brett
- A30 Snowdon Hill, Chard
The DfT has requested the funding is spent by the end of the financial year.
Councillor John Woodman, Somerset County Council’s Cabinet Member for Highways, said: “The extra funding received from the DfT late last year was very welcome and I’m pleased we can now confirm a list of locations for improvements on top of other works already planned.
“Spending this money at short notice is a challenge and while we are always very grateful for extra cash we do repeat our calls for more certainty over highways funding in the long term which would allow us to plan ahead more effectively.
“Nevertheless, we’ve worked hard to revise our plans and bring forward some much-needed schemes so there’s no doubt this money will lead to better roads and less future disruption for drivers.
“Clearly, there will be some impact in the short-term with road closures needed to carry out the work safely, but we hope motorists can be patient and understand the long-term benefits.”
Funding from the DfT will also be allocated to a range of other highways activities, from upgrading street lights and investing in rights of way, to repairing safety defects, potholes, traffic signals and road signs.
For the latest updates about roadworks along with live traffic reports, please visit www.travelsomerset.co.uk and follow @TravelSomerset on Twitter.
Please see below for further details of the listed major schemes. (Details correct as of 18 January but subject to change. Please check www.travelsomerset.co.uk for updates):
- A38 Huntworth Roundabout (Junction 24): Closed overnight (8pm to 6.30am for resurfacing, 28 January to 31 January, including M5 slip roads as below:
|Date||NB Exit||NB Entry||SB Exit||SB Entry|
- A358 between Thornfalcon and Southfields Roundabout, Ilminster: Closed overnight (7pm to 6.30am) for resurfacing, 4 February to 15 February (excluding weekends).
- A367 Bath Road, Ashwick: Closed daytime (7.30am to 5.30pm) for resurfacing, 18 February to 22 February.
- Chilkwell Street, Glastonbury: Closed 24/7 for resurfacing, 18 February to 24 February, followed by two weeks of evening closures (6.30pm to 11.30pm), 25 February to 8 March. Visit www.travelsomerset.co.uk/chilkwell-street for further details.
- A361 Frome Bypass Berkley Roundabout: Closed overnight (7pm to 6.30am) for resurfacing, 25 February to 27 February.
- A361 Frome Cemetery Roundabout: Closed overnight (7pm to 6.30am) for resurfacing, 28 February to 1 March.
- A39 East Quantoxhead: Closed for three nights (7pm to 6.30am) for resurfacing, 6 March to 8 March.
- Admiralty Way and Creechbarrow Way, Taunton: Closed overnight (7pm to 6.30am) for resurfacing, 11 March to 12 March, followed by three evenings (6.30pm to 11.30pm), 13-15 March.
- A358 Hankridge Roundabout, Taunton: Closed overnight (7pm to 6.30am) for resurfacing, 18-20 March outbound closure, 21-22 March inbound.
- A358 Sampford Brett: Closed 24/7 for drainage improvements and resurfacing, 18 March to 31 March. Visit www.travelsomerset.co.uk/sampford-brett for further details.
- A30 Snowdon Hill, Chard: Closed daytime (7.30am to 5.30pm) for resurfacing, 25 March to 30 March.