Somerset Public Health is urging everyone who is eligible to get a free NHS Health Check to lower their risk of developing serious health conditions.
The NHS Health Check is available for anyone between the age of 40 and 74 years, every five years, who does not have a pre-existing long-term condition.
The NHS Health Check is an important step for many people towards improving their health and becoming more aware of what they can do to lead a healthier life. It can help lower people’s risk of developing heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, type 2 diabetes and some types of dementia.
Professor Trudi Grant, Director of Public Health for Somerset, commented: “The NHS Health Check provides a real opportunity for people to take control of their own health and it is encouraging to see many people in Somerset actively engaging in this.
“Through partnerships with GPs, pharmacies and community groups we are reaching those that will benefit most from the check. Attending a free health check gives people access to information and local services that will support them in making changes that will reduce their risk of long-term illness.”
The simple health assessment aims to identify those at risk of serious, but potentially avoidable health conditions.
The health check takes 20-30 minutes and consists of:
- Recording the patient’s height, weight, gender, ethnicity and age
- A short questionnaire about their family medical history, and to find out if they are taking any medications
- A blood pressure check
- A blood test to identify their cholesterol level
- Individual advice and information regarding any part of the assessment and their overall risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- Referral to sources of help to manage weight or other lifestyle changes if required
- Referral to their GP to monitor and manage any identified cardiovascular risk
Attending a free NHS Health Check helps people be better prepared for their future. It identifies risks early on, giving people the opportunity to take steps to reduce them and improving their chance of staying healthy as they age.
NHS Health Checks are available at your GP surgery, at participating pharmacies or at a number of specialist clinics at Libraries and other community spaces – for a full list go to: https://bit.ly/freehcheck.
For further information or to book a test visit: https://somersethealthchecks.co.uk/