In response to concerns raised by local communities, one action within the Flood Action Plan is the introduction of Road Closure Gates on roads at risk of flooding.
The gates would be closed if the road floods, to stop vehicles driving through and potentially getting stuck in flood waters. They will be used in place of some of temporary road closed signs to make sure closures are adhered to and drivers stay safe. They will be accompanied by comprehensive diversions and signage and there will be space for vehicles to turn round.
Over the coming months, eight of the gates will be installed at locations on the Levels and Moors:
- Moor Lane, North Curry (near to Moorlane Nursery)
- New Road, West Lyng (near to the junction with the A361)
- Cutts Lane and the A361, East Lyng (one gate on each road near to where they meet)
- Cutts Road, Athelney (on the south east side of the bridge)
- A361 at Burrowbridge (on the south west side of the bridge)
- Tanyard Lane, Huish Episcopi (near to Court Barton)
- Langport Road, Muchelney ( near to Stable Cottage, Almonry House)
They will be locked using a combination padlock, with the combination provided to neighbouring residents and landowners to allow access, along with the Emergency Services.
Please see the maps below for more details of where the gates will be located.